Lions of Georgia MD18
|WHO WE ARE||HOW WE SERVE||BE A LION||MAGAZINE|
|OUR HISTORY||STATE CONVENTION||STATE DIRECTORY|
A Brief History of the Lions of Georgia 1920 to 1954
OFFICE OF THE STATE HISTORIAN
first natural division in the story of Lionism in Georgia is the period from
1920 to 1937 when the entire state of Georgia was in one District.
attached material, relating to that period in our history, is offered to you now
as a challenge, and not as a finished product. It is hoped that Lions will read
it critically, and aid in correcting any errors.
greatest hope, however, is that Lions will be challenged to enrich this basic
material with interesting sidelights, information, records, recollections, and
thoughts that are not now recorded. Older Lions, particularly the Past District
Governors during those years, can contribute important items with which no one
else is familiar. They are the source of enriching, historical material, which,
if not recorded soon till be lost forever.
purpose of this offering, then, is to urge you to participate in the production
of our history by contributing what you know of interesting facts, events,
people, with as many names, places and dates as possible. We welcome such
reaction will help determine whether our history is a dry compendium of facts
and statistics or whether it will sparkle with the deeds, memories,
personalities, and spirit which have built, and are building, the Lionism we
Lions of GEORGIA
First Club - Atlanta
The first Lions Club organized in the State of Georgia, which now constitutes the Eighteenth District of Lionism, was that of Atlanta; which held its first meeting on December 17, 1920. The first President of this first Georgia Lions Club was J. R. Smith; the first Secretary, T. R. Gentry.
was not at that time the Eighteenth District; it was part of the
old Fifth District, which embraced Eastern Texas, Louisiana, and at times,
Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida.
itself was only a little more than three years old. The International
Association of Lions Clubs was organized on June 7, 1917, at a historic meeting
held at the Hotel La Salle in Chicago. The nucleus of the organization was a
group of unaffiliated clubs of various names, scattered over the middle west and southwest.
Melvin Jones, then secretary of the Business Circle of Chicago, began a
correspondence with other similar clubs as far back as 1914, and labored
steadily to bring them together into an association under a single name and
working for a single program of usefulness.
plan was consummated when some 27 of these clubs were represented at the Chicago meeting. They agreed to
form an association, and adopted the name "Lions." They appointed
committees, and issued a call for a convention of accredited delegates from the
various clubs. This first International Convention of the Lions was held at
Dallas, Texas, on October 8-10, 1917. A constitution was adopted, officers were
elected, and a program of expansion mapped out.
of the first steps taken toward carrying out this program of expansion was to
lay out the territory of the United States into districts, and place a District
Governor in charge of each. The districts, as first arranged, were numbered
eastwardly from the Pacific Coast, though
not with exact regularity. The arrangement was: First District, California,
Oregon, Washington, and Nevada; Second District, Minnesota, North Dakota, South
Dakota, and Western Wisconsin; Third District, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana;
Fourth District, Western Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona: Fifth District, Eastern
Texas, Louisiana, and at times Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida: Sixth
District, Oklahoma and Kansas; Seventh District, Arkansas and Missouri: Eighth
District, Kentucky and Tennessee, and at times Mississippi; Ninth District,
Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Eastern Wisconsin.
remaining territory of the United States was not districted at that time for the
reason that there was no machinery
for either the organization or the administration of Lions Clubs, and the
prospects then was that it would be some time before Lionism could be extended
to other sections. However, Lions Clubs grew and flourished, and multiplied more
rapidly than was expected by any but a few who had caught the true vision of
what it meant and what it could do. Presently it was found necessary to divide
some districts, appoint additional district governors, and to create new
districts in states where Lions Clubs had been organized outside any regular
after the International Convention at Oakland, California in 1921, the entire
country was re-districted. Under the new arrangement the states were aligned
thus: First District, Illinois, where the Present International Association was
organized and which was made headquarters; Second District, Texas, where the
earliest Lions Clubs were formed, and which at that time led in number of clubs
and of members; Third District, Oklahoma, which then was a close second to
Texas; Fourth District, California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada; Fifth
District, Minnesota, North and South Dakota; Sixth District, Colorado; Seventh
District, Arkansas; Eighth District, Louisiana; Ninth District, Iowa and
Nebraska: Tenth District, Upper Michigan; Eleventh District, Lower Michigan;
Twelfth District, Kentucky and Tennessee; Thirteenth District, Ohio; Fourteenth
District, Pennsylvania; Fifteenth District, Wyoming and Montana; Sixteenth
District, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of
Columbia: Seventeenth District, Kansas; Eighteenth District, Georgia, Alabama
was not until there were three Lions Clubs organized in Georgia that any steps
were taken toward establishing a district organization. During the year
following the organization of the Atlanta Club, two more Clubs were formed. The
Club at Americus was organized on February 23, 1921, only a few weeks after
Atlanta's first meeting. The first President was Dan Chappell; the first
Secretary, C. M. Hall. The Lions Club of Macon followed on May 6. Its first
President was George E. Patterson; its first Secretary, W. C. Stokes.
three Lions Clubs themselves undertook to set up a district government. They
held a joint meeting at Macon, Georgia on December 27, 1921, and proceeded to
elect H. E. Allen of Americus "Acting Governor of the Georgia
Division." While the International President had not appointed him, and did
not for a long time confirm the selection of the three Georgia Clubs,
recognition was gradually accorded Lion Allen as the de facto District Governor,
and he was very earnest and vigorous in pushing the organization of new Lions
Clubs in Georgia. Six new Clubs had held their organization
meetings, and three others were in process of organization before his term
expired. In the meantime, Alabama, which at first he had not considered in his
district, had come to the front by organization of a Lions Club at Montgomery,
on June 12, 1922: and Mobile on October 9, 1922. Florida had one Lions Club --
that organized at Orlando on December 15. 1920. International informed District
Governor Allen that Alabama and Florida were also under his jurisdiction, and he
accepted the added responsibility.
District Convention - October 12, 1922
first district convention ever held in the Eighteenth District of Lionism, which
then comprised the States of Georgia, Florida and Alabama, was held at Macon,
Georgia, on October 12, 1922, with District Governor Allen presiding. Ten Lions
Clubs took part. The registered delegates and visitors numbered 62.
election resulted in the choice of M. J. Whitman of Macon, Georgia, District
Governor. Savannah, Georgia won the 1923 district convention.
|Number Clubs in 1921.....3|| (Georgia
|Members in 1921.....208|
|Number Clubs in 1922.....5||Members in 1922.....256|
|Gained in the year......…...2||Gained in the year…. 48|
after the convention, his business demanded that District Governor Whitman
remove to New York City, and he resigned his office on November 1. Under the
district constitution, Deputy E. W. Rosenthal of Savannah succeeded to the
District Governorship, and at once assumed office. The number of Lions Clubs in
the state almost doubled in the next year under vigorous work by field directors
from International, and the cooperation of the local clubs.
second annual convention of the Lions Clubs of Georgia, Alabama and Florida,
constituting the Eighteenth District, was held at Savannah, Georgia, on May
25-26, 1923. International was represented by Director Ben A. Ruffin of
Richmond, Virginia, who delivered the principal address.
delegates discussed at some length the proposal that the Eighteenth District be divided, and that Georgia
constitute a separate district. The almost unanimous sentiment was that it would
not be best at that time, and District Governor
Rosenthal was instructed to convey this sentiment to International at the
International Convention in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
C. Jordan of Macon, Georgia, was elected District Governor. The three deputies
-- one from each state -- were C. H. Cooper of Orlando, Florida; John L. Travis
of Savannah, Georgia; and H. R. Helie of Montgomery, Alabama. The 1924 district
convention was voted to Montgomery, Alabama.
|Number Clubs in 1922.....5|| (Georgia
|Members in 1922.....256|
|Number Clubs in 1923....14||Members in 1923.....635|
|Gained in the year......…...9||Gained in the year…379|
third annual district convention of the Eighteenth District Lions Clubs, of the
states of Georgia, Alabama and Florida, was held at Montgomery, Alabama on May
21-22, 1924. There had been a gain of four clubs and fifty members in Georgia
during the year; also there had been a most successful district conference on
February 29, at the time of the visit of International President John S. Noel.
Sixteen Georgia Lions Clubs and two from Alabama had taken part in that meeting.
of the most important actions taken at the convention was the resolution to
divide the district, and permit the six Lions Clubs of Alabama to organize a
district of their own. The Alabama delegates had a meeting, and four of the six
favored the move. When a resolution was introduced into the convention by the
chairman of the resolutions committee, E. R. Beckwith of Montgomery, every
delegate in the hall voted in favor of recommending to International that a
separation be granted.
Alabama delegates withdrew from the hall and held a little district meeting of
their own, electing W. I. Pittman of Birmingham as District Governor, and Thomas
Ward of Tuscaloosa deputy. Alabama was promptly recognized by International as
an independent organization, and became the Thirty-fourth District.
delegates from Georgia and Florida then held an election, and chose W. C. Parker
of Waycross, Georgia as District Governor, with three deputies-- H. K. Park of
Columbus, Georgia, Press Huddleston of Atlanta, and William Burwell of Miami,
Florida. The next district convention of the Eighteenth District, was voted to
few months after the district convention at Montgomery, International granted
Florida permission to withdraw from the Eighteenth District and become a separate district. They became the
Thirty-fifth district, and the State of Georgia constituted the Eighteenth
District of Lionism.
was a slight falling off in both the number of clubs and membership in Georgia
in the year 1924-25. The Number of Clubs dropped to 15 in number, and the
members dropped to 549.
delegates from nine of the Clubs were in attendance. International Directors Ben
A. Ruffin, Richmond Virginia; and Thomas H. Halliburton of Macon, Georgia,
Conklin of Augusta was elected District Governor, and the 1926 district
convention was voted to Macon.
district held its own in number of Clubs, and sustained by a slight loss of 22
in membership in the year 1925-26. When the fifth annual district convention met
at Macon on May 21-22, 1926, there were ten of the fifteen Clubs represented by
accredited delegates. International was again represented by Director Ben A.
Ruffin of Richmond, Virginia; and Tom Halliburton, of Macon, Georgia. Among the
resolutions adopted was one of regret over the death of Past District Governor
Richard C. Jordan.
election resulted in the choice of William A. Mann of Macon, for District
Governor, and the choice of Albany as the 1927 convention city.
was a recession both in the number of Lions Clubs and the total membership in
Georgia during the year 1926-27. The clubs fell in number from 15 to 12, and the
membership from 527 to 467.
sixth annual convention was held on May 5-6, 1927, at Albany, Georgia. The
health of the district governor had broken, but none of those attending the
convention realized that he was doomed to pass from this life a few months
of the twelve Lions Clubs of the district were represented at the convention by
0. Pertain of Atlanta was elected District Governor, and Athens was awarded the
district convention of 1928.
1927 - 1928
seventh annual convention of Georgia was held at Athens on May 17-18, 1928. All
but two Clubs sent delegates to the convention. The delegates numbered 39 and
the guests 23. International Directors Thomas H. Halliburton of Macon; and G. H.
Hastings of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, were the principal speakers.
of the outstanding Lions of the district had died since the previous convention:
Past District Governor William A. Mann of Macon, and Past President George L.
Alexander of the Forsyth Club. Resolutions in their memory were adopted.
convention voted unanimously to provide funds for another three-year term of
support for the Juvenile Braille Magazine, to be supplied free to all the blind
children in the state.
W. Popper of Macon was elected District Governor, and the 1929 convention was
voted to Valdosta.
|Number Clubs in 1927.....12||Number Members in 1927...467|
|Number Clubs in 1928.....11||Number Members in 1928...433|
|Lost during the year……... 1||Lost during the year..………... 34
in Georgia during the year 1928 progressed very favorably and reports
show an increase of nearly ninety per cent in total number of clubs and over
fifty per cent in membership during that period.
ninth annual convention was held at Valdosta, on May 2-3, 1929. The convention
was presided over by District Governor Popper. Tom Curry of Dublin, was elected
District Governor, and Griffin, Georgia was selected for next convention.
|Number Clubs in 1928.....11||Number Members in 1927...433|
|Number Clubs in 1929.....20||Number Members in 1928...668|
|Gained during the year..... 9||Gained
during the year..…... 235
the advance was not as marked as was that of the previous year, Lionism went
forward in Georgia during the fiscal year 1929-30. The ninth annual convention
met at Griffin on May 14, 1930, lasting: two days, much business of an important
nature was transacted, and it was decided to petition the state legislative
bodies to pass a bill creating a State Blind Commission, supported by state
appropriation, to make a survey of the number and condition of all the blind of
the state, and report to the Lions. International Director Roderick Beddow, of
Birmingham, Alabama, was the principal speaker.
Cope, of Atlanta, was elected District Governor, and Atlanta was awarded
the next convention.
number of Clubs was increased during the fiscal year by two, and the total
membership was increased by seven.
the difficult year of 1930-31 the district lost no Clubs, and the membership
suffered only a slight loss of 137.
the convention met at Atlanta on May 28-29, 1931, there were 13 Clubs
represented, with a total registration of 117. Committees were appointed and
resolutions adopted to continue the major activities of carrying on blind work,
presenting the Braille Magazine to the blind; and going further into seeing to
it that boys are kept in school. Regular Presidents and Secretaries meetings
were held, at which meetings the matters of membership, finances, and other
responsibilities pertaining to their offices were fully discussed.
B. King of Savannah was elected District Governor, and Savannah was chosen the
1932 convention city.
the Administration of District Governor King, Georgia forged ahead during a year
when most districts were having a great deal of difficulty. Twelve new clubs were
added to the district and 209 new members during the year 1931-32.
district convention held in Savannah was one of the most successful held by the
district association. Over 134 Lions registered, and many more were in
attendance who attended sessions of the convention, while many guests and
members of Lion families were also in attendance. The International Board of
Directors was represented by International Director
Edwin R. Kingsley of
Parkersburg, West Virginia, who gave the major address of the convention. Dr. A.
M. Soule, President of the State College also addressed the convention.
major activity adopted for the year 1932-33 was to lend all effort to habituate
uncultivated land with unemployed, so that the land can be made productive and
the unemployed be given a chance to support themselves and families from the
G. Pound of Sparta was elected District Governor to succeed Lion King, and the
next convention host city chosen was Waycross.
District Governor Pound, District Eighteen had a splendid record of achievement
during the fiscal year 1932-33. Eleven new clubs were organized, making a net
gain of six. The membership was increased by 82, and twelve members obtained
Keys, making a total of 35.
district convention was held at Waycross on June 12-13, 1933. It was called to
order by Lion H. F. Stallings, President of the host club. The address of
welcome was made by Hon. L. B. Harrell, Mayor of Waycross; with response by Past
District Governor J. 0. Partain, of Atlanta. Marvin G. Pound, District Governor,
assumed the chair and made his report. Following a Fellowship Luncheon conducted
by the Savannah Club, there was a short business session featuring a fine speech
by W. K. Charles, Greenwood, South Carolina, Chairman of the International Board
the breakfast of the Presidents and that of the Secretaries was well attended,
and there was general discussion on topics relative to the proper functioning of
a Lions Club. Following reports by the various committees, there was a Model
Luncheon conducted by the Statesboro Club.
S. Johnson, La Grange, was elected District Governor, and Decatur was chosen as
the next convention city.
Lionism in Georgia made wonderful forward strides during the year 1933-34.
District Governor Johnson made 44 visits to the clubs in his district. Eighteen
new Clubs were organized, giving a net gain of eleven for the year; 45 members
secured Keys; 3 earned Master Keys; and the total membership of the district was
increased by 340.
convention was held at Decatur on June 20-21, and was one of the best the
district had ever held. W. J. Scott, President of the host club, presided at the
opening, and welcome was extended by Mayor J. C. Johnson. Response was by Past
District Governor Parker, of
Waycross, and H. McWhorter, of
very high class entertainment was given at the noon-day luncheon, but the big feature was a splendid
address by John A. Lloyd, Portsmouth, Ohio, a Director of Lions International.
unusual and much enjoyed feature of the convention was music by the Decatur
Girls High-Lions Club orchestra and the Decatur Boys High-Lions Club orchestra,
the first projects of the Decatur Lions Club.
major activities for the year were decided to be Blind Work and concentration on
the rehabilitation of laggard clubs.
T. Ray, Athens, was elected District Governor, and Columbus was chosen as the next convention city.
continued to expand and progress during 1934-36 under District Governor William
T. Ray of Athens and his corps of State Officers, composed of District Secretary
W. A. Abercrombie of Athens, and Deputy District Governors H. A. Stallings of
Waycross, Dr. R. A. Enzor of Smithville, A. Lester Henderson of Savannah, J. E.
Cook of Wrightsville, W. E. Graham of Lafayette, N. V. Dyer of Tocoa, Blue
Holleman of Augusta,
N. J. Scott of Decatur.
number of Lions Clubs within the state was increased from 51 to 63 during the
year and the membership increased 386 to an all-time high up to that time of
1,555. During the year District Governor Ray made 59 official visits to his
clubs and his deputies made 21. At the end of the fiscal year 168 Georgia Lions
were Key Members and six of these had reached the rank of Master Key Member.
annual convention was held in Columbus, May 27-28, 1935 with Wilbur J. Dixon of
New Canaan, Connecticut, chairman of the board of governors for the
International Association, present as International representative. Many
important matters such as membership, finances and programs were discussed at
the meetings of club secretaries and presidents, and a special feature of the
convention program was a series of five-minute talks by Lions on various phases
of Lionism in Georgia. The convention presented retiring District Governor Ray
with a watch as an evidence of the high esteem in which Georgia Lions held his
leadership, and endorsed him for the post of chairman of the board of governors
in the International Association. He was subsequently elected to this office by
the board of governors which met during the International Convention in Mexico
City the following July (1935). Chief among the other resolutions passed by the
convention were (1) a resolution urging the construction of a national highway
through Okefenokee Swamp, and (2) a resolution urging the prompt release of
Georgia's federal allotment for highway construction.
was selected as the 1936 convention City, and H. A. Stallings of Waycross, was
elected to succeed Lion Ray in the office of District Governor for 1935-36.
in Georgia continued its forward stride in 1935-36. Governor H. A. Stallings, of
Waycross, made 98 visits to his 72 clubs, a splendid record, and the result was
plainly evident in the increased activity and enthusiasm. The total number of
clubs had been increased by nine, and 172 new members enrolled. There were 192
Key Members - a gain of 24 - and 3 Master Keys had been issued, bringing the
total to 9. Credit can be given, too, to his Deputies, each of whom made a
report at the convention. They were: Lawrence Shields, Columbus; R. A. Enzor,
Smithville; J. P. Stiles, La Fayette; Howell Brook, Canton; N. V. Dyer, Tocoa;
Rev. Stanley R. Grubb, Athens; Joe Scott, Atlanta; Stanley Elkan, Macon; Herbert
Elliott, Augusta; Capt. Lester Henderson, Savannah; R. E. Lefford, Vidalia;
Henry C. Marks, Albany; Frank J. Tigner, Jr., LaGrange; J. B. Sasser, Adel; and
Tigner E. Thrasher, Ashburn.
Convention for that year was held at Macon on June 2-3-4. It had been scheduled
for Gainesville, but that city was stricken by a Tornado, and was unable to act
as host. Five cities offered to take it over, but Macon was the first, and her
offer was accepted. With only five weeks in which to prepare, the Macon Lions
Club, headed by President Henry Koplin, with Brooks Geohegan, Convention
Chairman and Stanley A. Elkan, Deputy District Governor, did an excellent job,
and the opinion that it was the finest Convention ever held in the district up
to that time was universal.
report of Governor Stallings was most encouraging. He said 17 new clubs had been
organized, and was very proud of the fact that for the second consecutive year
Georgia had led International in the organization of new clubs. During the
Convention the organization of the 18th club was announced.
The principal speaker was Vincent C. Hascall, Omaha, Nebraska, Immediate Past President. Edward Hurrah, Columbus, was elected District Governor, and D. J. Jackson, Soperton, Lieutenant Governor, an office created at this Convention.
was selected as the next Convention City for the year 1936-1937.
OFFICE OF STATE HISTORIAN EUGENE SANDERS
HISTORY OF LIONISM IN GEORGIA
is the second part of the story of Lionism in Georgia.
first natural division of this story of Lionism in Georgia covered the period
from December 17, 1920 when the first Lions Club in the State of Georgia was
organized in Atlanta, to the meeting of the state convention in Columbus in
1937. During this period of seventeen years the entire state of Georgia was in
one district. The story of these years was distributed in Augusta at the 48th
annual state convention in June, 1969.
June 1937 through June 1947 District 18 was divided into three districts, this
action being taken at the 17th annual state convention in Albany, June 6, 7, 8,
1937. For convenience the story of these years is divided so that the present
part includes the years from 1937-1940. This is in no wise a “finished”
history. It is a rough outline, a bare skeleton which it is hoped will stir you
to contribute to its enrichment.
who is concerned and who has additional information which would add interest,
meaning and depth to this account is urged to communicate it to the State
Historian, so that this story may “sparkle with the deeds, memories,
personalities, and spirit which have built, and are building the Lionism which
we love,” and through which we serve.
Ridgewood Drive, N. E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30307
Lions of Georgia
17th Annual State Convention of District No 18 Was held at Albany, Georgia, on
June 6, 7, 8, 1937. District Governor Edward Murrah, Columbus, was unable to
attend because of illness, The District Governor had made 67 visits to his 72
Clubs, and had imbued the membership with an enthusiasm and sense of loyalty
that spoke well for the future.
Convention was called to order by Turner L, Smith; President of the Host Club,
who introduced Henry T. McIntosh, Editor of the Albany Herald, for an address of
welcome on behalf of the city. Response was by D. R. Jackson, Soperton, who
assumed the gavel. Wm. T. Roy, Athens, former chairman of the Board of Governors
of Lions International, made a report in which he recommended the division of
the District into three sub-divisions to be known as A, B, and C, named the
Clubs in each, and moved its adoption. This was amended to empower the Governors
to select their own Deputies and, together, select a State Secretary. The motion
carried as amended.
Rainey introduced three children of his county who had been crippled by
infantile paralysis and called attention to the braces they wore, only by means
of which they were able to walk. He said the Camilla Club, of which he was a
member, had supplied several dozen children with similar braces, and the Camilla
Club was given a rousing vote of thanks.
Services were in charge of Lion Leach, Donaldsonville.
400 attended the Governor's Banquet and Ball on Monday evening.
Governor Jackson was chairman of the Tuesday morning session. He paid a fine
tribute to Governor Murrah, and later on in the program it was announced by Lion
John Wynn that a check was being sent to Mrs. Ed Hurrah, in appreciation of the
loyalty and unselfish service of the Governor, by the Lions Clubs of Georgia.
Peach was adopted as the official insignia of Georgia Lions.
was voted to place pertain restrictions on candidates for District Governor and
applicants for the Convention City, and to provide headquarters at the
International Convention in Chicago.
was represented by L. H. Lewis, the first President of the Association, who was
the principal speaker, and Lion Cecil Webb, International Field Representative
following District Governors were unanimously elected: W. A. Abercrombie,
Athens, for 18-A; D. R. Jackson, Soperton, for 18-B; and Stanley Elkan, Macon,
for 18-C. Savannah was awarded the next Convention.
|No. of Clubs 1936||72||No. of Members 1936||727|
|No. of Clubs 1937||71||No. of Members 1937||1497|
|No. of Key Members 1936||192||No. of Master Key Members 1936||9|
|No. of Key Members 1937||234||No. of Master Key Members 1937||13|
|No. of visits by District Governor||67
|No. of visits by Deputies||11|
District Governors Organization Plan was adopted in the three Districts.
year began with the following District Governors in office: 18-A, W. A.
Abercrombie, Athens; 18-B, D. R. Jackson, Soperton; 18-C, Stanley A. Elkan,
Macon. District Governor Jackson resigned at the beginning of his term and Judge
Will Stallings of Soperton was appointed to serve as District Governor for the
term. On June 30, 1938, there were 76 clubs in the district, with a-total
membership of 2023, representing a gain for the year of four clubs end 526
of Lionism in District 18, Georgia--1937-1938
1938 Convention of District 18 was held in Savannah on June 5, 6, 7.
International representative at the Convention was George Bell Timmerman,
Key members breakfast was held on the second morning of the Convention.
Convention voted to continue support of the Lions Juvenile Braille Magazine for
District Governors elected were: Dr. H. L. Barker, Carrollton, for 18-A; John
Heard Arnold, Ashburn, for 18-B; and Turner L. Smith, Albany, for 18-C.
was chosen as the 1939 Convention City.
was a gain of 42 Key Members and a gain of 2 Master Key Members over the number
at the beginning of the fiscal year. The combined clubs of the district added a
net total of 246 members, and there was a net increase of two clubs.
District Governors were: Region 1, Dr, H. L. Barker, Carrollton; Region 2, L.
Paul Webb, Lavonia.
were: C. W. Peacock, Lafayette; H. A. Jones, Tallapoosa; G. T. Langford,
Gainesville; S. A. Hale, Athens; John R. Teasley, Canton.
was a gain of 21 Key Members during the year. Three new clubs were established
in the district and a net total of 192 members was added.
District Governors were: John H. Arnold, Ashburn, Robt. L. Cowart, Waycross, J,
Eugene Cook, Wrightsville.
Chairmen were: Dr. L. 0, Shaw, Tifton; Nelson S, Carswell, Dublin; Harry Heins,
Augusta; Marvin J. Williams, Douglas; Edward A. Dutton, Savannah; U. V. Whipple,
Jr., Cordele; ;M. ;M. Monroe,
was a gain of 16 Key Members and a gain of two Master Key Members during the
year. There was a net loss of one club but there was a net gain of 88 members.
District Governors were: E. G. Elcan, Bainbridge; Turner L. Smith, Albany, Jett
Potts, West Point; G. P. Whatley, Forsyth.
Chairman was: J. B. Petty, Dawson.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1937||22||21||28||71|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1938||24||
|Total Members, July 1, 1937||465||424||608||1497|
|Total Members, June 30, 1938||711||616||696||2023|
|Total Number of Key Members, 1937||64||105||65|
|Total Number of Key Members, 1938||106||126||81|
|Number of Master Key Members 1937||3||5||5|
|Number of Master Key Members 1938||5||5||7|
Georgia, District 18, 1938-39.
all phases of Lionism, District 18-A during 1938-39, showed substantial
increases. Twenty-nine Key Memberships were awarded making a total of 135. Two
Master Key Memberships were awarded, making a total of 7; one hundred and
seventy-two new members were gained bringing the total to 883, and 4 new
charters were granted, raising the number of clubs to 28.
visits were made by District Governor Barker of Carrolton to his 24 clubs.
District Governors were: Region 1, Wade Wright of Atlanta; Region 3, Dr. R. W.
Smith of Ellijay; Region 2, W. A. Abercrombie of Athens.
Chairmen were: Rev. J. C. Adams of Franklin; Frank G. Thomas of Decatur; John R.
Teasley of Canton; Ed A. Burch of Dalton; Hugh A. Inglis of Clarksville; J. L,
Weir of Athens.
Governor Arnold of Ashburn made 48 visits to his 24 clubs in 18:B during
clubs were strengthened by 12 new members augmenting, the total to 604. There
were 31 men who won Key Memberships during the year making a total of 150, and
three men distinguished themselves by achieving Master Key Awards.
District Governors serving District 18-B during this term were: Region 1, Harry
A. Heins of Augusta; Region 2, D. I. Thornton of Cordele; Region No 3, H. C.
Morgan of Homerville; Region 4, Edward A. Dutton of Savannah,
Chairmen were B. A. Watson of Wadley; Carl B. Nelton of Dublin; J. R. Reece of
Cordele; L. O. Shaw of Tifton; Marvin Williams of Douglas; K. W. Saunders of
1938, there were 696 members in District 18-C, but with a loss of 17 members in
1938-39 the total was reduced to 679. Also during this term two clubs were
cancelled leaving a total of 25 on June 30, 1939.
Governor Turner L. Smith of Albany made 44 visits to his 27 clubs during this
administration. Eight men were assigned Key Membership which made the Key
Membership total 89. The number of Master Key Members remained unchanged.
following were Deputy District Governors during 1938-39: Region 1, James Carithers
of Moultrie; Region 2, Jim David Parker of Edison; Region 3, R. S. Heard of West
Point: Region 4, Prof. G. Paul Whatley of Forsyth.
Chairmen serving for this term were: Clark Gurly of Bainbridge; C. C. Rainey of
Camilla; W. Jesse Chambless of Dawson; Harry Mogford of Leary; Thomas Ferguson
of Talbotton; Steve Bland of Lumpkin; John Corm of Sandersville; Mallory C.
Atkinson of Macon.
was host to the Annual Convention which was held from June 10-12. Total
attendance numbered 401. Melvin Jones of Chicago, Founder and Secretary-General
of Lions International was the principal speaker.
A Presidents' and Secretaries meeting was held.
Members were honored at a breakfast, and the Braille Activity was adopted by the
Governors elected for the term 1939-40 were: Wade H. Wright of Atlanta for
District 18-A; J. Eugene Cook of Wrightsville for District 18-B; and William F.
Loflin of Columbus for District 18-C.
was voted the 1940 Convention.
|Number of Clubs 1938||24||Number of Members 1938||711|
|Number of Clubs 1939||28||Number of Members 1939||883|
of Visits by District Governor 47
|Number of Key Members 1938||106||Number of Master Key Members 1938||5|
|Number of Key Members 1939||135||Number of Master Key Members 1939||7|
|Number of Clubs 1938||24||Number of Members 1938||616|
|Number of Clubs 1939||24||Number of Members 1939||604|
of Visits by District Governor 48
|Number of Key Members 1938||126||Number of Master Key Members 1938||5|
|Number of Key Members 1939||150||Number of Master Key Members 1939||8|
|Number of Clubs 1938||27||Number of Members 1938||696|
|Number of Clubs 1939||25||Number of Members 1939||679|
of Visits by District Governor 44
|Number of Key Members 1938||81||Number of Master Key Members 1938||7|
|Number of Key Members 1939||89||Number of Master Key Members 1939||7|
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia - 1939-40
The year began with
the following District Governors in office: 18-A Wade H. Wright, Atlanta; 18-B,
J. Eugene Cook, Wrightsville; and 18-C William F. Loflin, Columbus. On June 30,
1940, there were 90 clubs in the district, with a total membership of 2652,
representing a gain for the year of 13 clubs and 486 members.
1940 Convention of District 18 was held in Columbus on June 10, 11. Three
hundred thirty-eight delegates and guests were in attendance and 53 clubs were
representatives at the Convention were Dr. Carl L. Kennedy, Chairman of the
Board of Governors, and Dr. H. L. Barker, member of the Board of Governors.
Key Member breakfast, held on the first morning of the convention, was attended
by 150 Key Members. Many prizes were awarded for membership gains, best
attendance, and other contests.
Convention voted to continue support of the Lions' Juvenile Braille Magazine for
another year. A resolution was also adopted which created a fund known as the
Lions Student Loan Fund of Georgia.
District Governors elected were: Hugh A. Inglis, Clarksville, for 18-A, Edward
A. Dutton, Savannah, for 18-B;Jr., and Arthur S. Boyett, Buena Vista, for 18-C.
was chosen as the 1941 Convention City.
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia 1939-40
Governor Wright made 48 visits to his clubs during the year. There was a gain of
65 Key Members and a gain of 3 Master Key Members over the number at the
beginning of the fiscal year, combined clubs of the district added a net total
of 253 members, and there was a net increase of seven clubs.
District Governors were: Region 1, H. A. Jones, Tallapoosa; Region 2, H. A.
Inglis, Clarkesville; Region 3, J. H. Bagwell, Canton.
Chairman were: W. Joe Scott, Atlanta; Frank Taylor, Bowdon; F. T. Corry, Siham;
Col. Clyde W. Holden, Clayton; B. Jack Smith, Gainesville; E. A. Birch, Dalton;
E, C. Pesterfield, Summerville.
Governor Cook visited his clubs 30 times. There was a gain of 28 Key Members and
a gain of three Master Key Members during the year. Three new clubs were
established in the district and a net total of 53 members was added.
District Governors were: Region 1, William Estroff, Soperton; Region 2, L. O.
Shaw, Tifton; Region 3, E. M. Diavours, Douglas; Region 4, A. K. Conway,
Chairmen were: Buren A. Watson; Robert H. Hightower, Dublin, Carl W. Gillespie,
Abbeville; Inslee M. Johnson, Alma; W. N. Pittman, Savannah.
visits were made by District Governor Loflin to the clubs in his district during
the year,. There was a gain of 30 Key Members and a gain of one Master Key
Member, bringing the total on June 30, 1940, to 119 Key Members and eight Master
Key Members. There was a net gain of three clubs in the district during the
year, and a net total of 180 members was added.
District Governors were: Region 1, Dr. C, O. Rainey, Camilla; Region 2, Henry B.
Crowell, Jr., Dawson; Region 3, Arthur S. Boyett, Buena Vista; Region 4, Brooks
Chairmen were: Clark Gurley, Bainbridge; Duncan Sinclair, Moultrie; W.J. Watson,
Shellman; Ben A. Garrett, Arlington; J. G. Pryor, Smithville; Harry R. Spikes,
Lagrange; Thomas H, Ferguson, Talbotton; H. B. Rountree, Jr., Sparta; William B.
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1939||28||24||25||77|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1940||35||27||28||90|
|Total Members, June 30, 1939||883||604||679||2166|
|Total Members, June 30, 1940||1136||657||859||2652|
of Visits by District Governor
|Number of Key Members, 1939||135||150||89|
|Number of Key Members, 1940||200||178||119|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1939||7||8||7|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1940||10||11||8|
year began with the following District Governors in office: 18-A, Hugh A. Inglis,
Clarksville; 18-B, Edward A. Dutton, Savannah; and 18-C, A. S. Boyett, Jr. Buena
Vista. On June 30, 1941 there wore 102 clubs in the district with a total
membership of 2902, representing a gain of 12 clubs and 250 members for the
1941 convention of District 18 was held in Augusta on June 8, 9, and 10. There
were 23 clubs represented and Past President Alexander T. Wells and Director
George S. Johnson were the International Representatives.
Presidents' and Secretaries' Meetings were held, as was a Key Member Breakfast
with 150 in attendance. Numerous prizes were awarded for membership gains, best
attendance, and other contests.
new District Governors elected were: Edd A. Burch, Dalton, 18-A; Ross H.
Pittman, Tifton 18-B; and William B, Freeman, Forsyth, 18-C.
was chosen as the 1942 Convention city.
Governor Inglis made 73 visits to his clubs during the year. There were 54 keys
and four Master Keys issued, during the year, and an increase of nine clubs and
248 members. The records showed 44 clubs with 1384 members at the close of the
District Governors were: Region 1, Frank Taylor, Bowdon: Region 2, Grady O.
Jackson, Greensboro; Region 3, Edd A. Burch, Dalton.
Chairman were: Eugene Sanders, Atlanta: M. I. Garber, Cedartown; Dr. W. B.
Keller, Tocoa; Ralph M. Cannon, Lavonia; R. L. Russell, Athens; N. E. Fackler,
Canton; and Thomas E. Lawson, Trion.
Governor Dutton made 20 visits to his clubs during the year. Twenty-two keys and
two Master Keys were issued during the year, and three clubs were added,
increasing the district's total membership to 669, representing 30 clubs.
District Governors were: Region 1, Fred L. Damren, Augusta; Region 2, Ross H.
Pittman, Tifton; Region 3, John Youngblood, Waycross; and Region 4, R. James
Chairmen were: S. C. Evans, Jr., Wadley; R. A. Perry, Soperton; J. R. Reese,
Cordele; Dr. W. R. Wilson, Jr., Douglas; La Rue Parrish, Adel; and William N.
Governor Boyett, Jr., made 40 visits to the clubs in his district, and during
the year 24 Keys and one Master Key were issued. There was a loss of ten
members, leaving the totals at the end of the year 28 clubs with 849 members.
District Governors were: Region l, Frank S. Twitty, Camille; Region 2, J. A.
Pickard, Edison; Region 3, Honey B. Pease, Columbia; and Region 4, William B. Freeman, Forsyth.
Chairmen were: R. S. McGarity, Moultrie; Henry B, Crowell, Jr., Dawson; Earl
Pickle, Blakely; W. E. Higgins, West Point; J. T. Minor, Jr., Thomaston; and W.
Newsome Summerlin, Sandersville.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1940||35||27||28||92|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1941||44||30||28||102|
|Total Members, July 1, 1940||1136||657||859||2652|
|Total Members, June 30, 1941||1384||669||849||2902|
of Visits by District Governor
|Number of Key Members, 1940||200||178||119|
|Number of Key Members, 1941||254||200||143|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1940||10||11||8|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1941||14||13||9|
History of Lionism in District 18, Georgia - 1941-42
year began with District Governors Edd A. Burch (18-A) of Dalton, Ross H.
Pittman (18-B) of Tifton and William B. Freeman (18-C) of Forsyth, in office. At
the end of the year there was a total of 104 clubs in the combined district with
a membership of 2,642 representing a gain of two clubs but a loss of 260
Georgia, was the 1942 convention host city with sessions being held in the Dixie
Hunt Hotel on June 14, 15, and 16. There were 50 clubs represented by 186
delegates and 33 Visitors. Activities, other than the regular business sessions,
included a bowling tournament, golfing, swimming, theatre party, three District
breakfasts, and the District Governors' Banquet and Ball. Numerous cups and cash
prizes mere awarded. Past International President Roderick Beddow, who
represented Lions International at the convention, was a featured speaker.
resolution, District 18 pledged its influence and energies toward the winning of
the war, the keeping of the eventual peace, the upholding of American ideals and
principles, and the honoring of those members who wore serving their country and
those who were yet to be called to serve.
Georgia, was chosen as the 1943 convention host city and the new District
Governors elected to office were: W. Joe Scott, (18-A) of Atlanta; Dr. Fred L.
Damren (18-B) of Augusta and C. E. Boggs (18-C) of Talbotton, Georgia.
Governor Burch made 54 visits to the clubs in his District during his term of
office. On June 30, 1942, there were 47 clubs with a membership of 1,319. This
represented a gain of three clubs during the year, but a loss of 65 members.
There was a gain of 44 key members and two master Key members, making a total of
298 Key Members and 16 Master Key members.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, W. Joe Scott, Atlanta (Little Five
Points Club); Region 2, Grady O. Jackson, Greensboro; Region 3, James S.
Tankersley, Ellijay, and Dr. Robert Smith, Ellijay; and Region 4, Dr. W. B.
Zone Chairmen were: Roy Rarwell, Atlanta; Eugene Sanders, Atlanta (Decatur);
Walter New, Carrollton; John Dolvin, Union Point; N. C. Row, Conyers; H. V.
Henry, Lafayette; H. V. Brinkman, Jasper; M. B. Clinkscalos, Commerce; and
Charles W. Colwell, Hiawassee (Towns County Club).
Governor Pittman made 23 visits to the clubs in his District during the year. At
the end of the year there were 28 clubs with a membership of 546, representing a
loss of two clubs and 123 members. There was an increase of six Key members and
one Master Key member, making a total of 206 key members and 14 Master Key
members in the District.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Joseph R. Reese, Cordele; Region 2,
Walter R. Wilson, Douglas; Region 3, Dr; Fred L. Damren, Augusta; and Region 4,
Dr. Melvin Sutker, Savannah, and Alfred Pineka, Savannah.
Zone Chairmen were: F. E. Winn, Ashburn; William
C. Syms, Abbevllle; M. E. Butler, Alma; William R. King, Waycross; Sam O. Evans,
Jr., Wadley; Linton Malone, Dublin; and Malcolm B; Jones, Savannah;
his term of office; District Governor Freeman made 26 visits to the clubs in his
District. At the end of the fiscal year there were 29 clubs in the
District with a combined membership of 777. This represented a gain of one club
but a loss of 72 members. There was a net increase of 25 Key members which made
a total of 168 Key members and eight Master Key members on June 30, 1942.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, Earle Pickle, Blakely; Region 2, R. E.
Coleman, Albany; Region 3, E. J. Tucker, Lumpkin; and Region 4, Fred J. Osborne,
Zone Chairmen were: Dallas F. Wurst; Donalsonville; Oscar Powell, Arlington, C.
B. Burrell, Moultrie; Joe M. Hawley, Columbus; J. T. Minor, Jr., Thomaston; and
J. L. Williams, Sparta.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1941||44||30||28||102|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1942||47||28||29||104|
|Total Members, July 1, 1941||1384||669||849||2902|
|Total Members, June 30, 1942||1319||546||777||2642|
of Visits by District Governor
|Number of Key Members, 1941||254||200||143||597|
|Number of Key Members, 1942||298||206||168||672|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1941||14||13||8||35|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1942||16||14||8||38|
the close of the fiscal year 1942-43, District 18 comprised 107 clubs having a
total membership of 3,050. During the year there was a gain of three clubs, 408
members, 90 Key members, seven Master Key members and one Senior Master Key
member. On June 30, 1943, there was 719 Key members, 44 Master Key members and
one Senior Master Key member, in this District.
District Governors holding office during 1942-43 were: W. Joe Scott of Atlanta,
in District 18-A; Dr. Fred L. Damren, of Augusta; in District 18-B; and C. E.
Boggs of Talbotton, in District 18-C, upon James D. Carithers resignation in
Annual Convention of District 18 was held on June 6-7-8, 1943, in LaGrange, with
46 clubs being represented and 132 delegates, 11 alternates and 145 visitors in
P. Nutter of Camden, New Jersey, International Director, was on hand to
officially represent the International Association.
included Sight-seeing tours, swimming, golf, bridge, a barbecue supper,
community party, a Model Luncheon, a District Governor's luncheon, and a
superbly successful Stunt Night program. Among the prizes awarded the winners of
the District contests were Cups, War Bonds, Flags and cash.
newly elected District Governors were: Hoke Sewell, Gainesville, in District
18-A; Robert Cowart, Douglas, in District 18-B; and C. G. Higginbotham,
LaGrange, in District 18-C.
Governor Scott made a total of 34 visits during the year to the clubs in his
District. There was a gain of 117 members, 53 Key members, three Master Key
members and one Senior Key member during the year. Two clubs were dropped.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1, J. C. Adams, Heard County; Region 2,
J. D, Salter, Athens; Region 3, Herbert Crane, Cartersville; and Region 4, Hoke
Zone Chairmen for 1942-43 were: Vic Todd, Atlanta, Eugene Sanders, Decatur; J.
Hubert Griffin, Carrollton; Ernest Haines, Crawford; W. T. Johnson, Washington;
Mack Hicks, Rome; G. I. Maddox, Chatsworth; O. D, Cannon, Jr., Lavonia; and J.
S. Lunsford, Clarksville.
Governor Damren made a total of 27 visits to the clubs in his District during
the year. There was a gain of five clubs, 232 members, 19 Key members and three
Master Key members during this period.
Deputy District Governors were: Region 1,W. M. Syms, Abbeville; Region 2, Dr.
Walter R. Wilson, Jr., Douglas; Region 3, William Estroff, Soperton; R. A.
Perry, Soperton; and Region 4, Alfred Pineda, Savannah.
Chairmen for the year were: F. E. Wynn, Ashburn; David Clark, Hawkinsville; M.
E. Butler, Alma; William R. King, Waycross; Sam Evans, Wadley; Linton Malone,
Dublin: and Malcolm B, Jones, Savannah.
Governor C. E. Boggs of Talbotton made a total of 25 visits during the year to
clubs in his District. The records for this period indicate a gain of 59
members, 18 Key members and one Master Key member.
offices of Deputy District Governors were filled by: Region 1, Sam Sells of
Moultrie; Region 2, Oscar Powell, Arlington; Region 3, Bill Westbrook, Columbus;
and Region 4, J. L. Williams, Sparta.
Chairmen during the year were: Lawrence Short, Smithville; Dr. R. H. Enzer,
Smithville; H. B. Williams, Bainbridge; Frank Taylor, Dawson; J. D. Davis,
Ellaville; W. A. Smalley, Forsyth; and Dr. S. N. Rubin, Wilkinson County.
|Total Clubs, July 1, 1942||47||28||29||104|
|Total Clubs, June 30, 1943||45||33||29||107|
|Total Members, July 1, 1942||1319||546||777||2642|
|Total Members, June 30, 1943||1436||778||836||3050|
of Visits by District Governor
|Number of Key Members, 1942||287||182||160||629|
|Number of Key Members, 1943||340||201||178||719|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1942||16||13||8||37|
|Number of Master Key Members, 1943||19||16||9||44|
|Senior Master Key members, 1942||0||0|
|Senior Master Key members, 1943||1||1|
four District Governors had aggressive administrations in 1947 - 1948. The state
showed an increase in clubs and memberships, 16 new clubs being organized.
worthwhile matters that had been discussed for years were actually put into
operation, namely: a state uniform was adopted and secured; a special train was
chartered for attending the International Convention in New York; a Georgia
Display and a Georgia Breakfast were inaugurated at the International
President Fred W. Smith was entertained in Atlanta during the year and an
excellent state convention was held at Savannah.
Governors Joe Davis of 18A, J. T. Baxley of 18B, and W. J. Andrews of 18D
visited all clubs.
18A under District Governor Joe Davis was 100% perfect in getting all
secretaries’ reports to International on time.
1948 - 1949
1948 - 1949
District Governors of 1948-1949 continued the good works of the previous
administrations and added a few of their own.
the year the Lions of Georgia sponsored the Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind. A
new cup was added to the cup awards, the Augusta Cup, which is to be presented
to the club meeting weekly having the largest number of 100% meetings for the
there was a special train to the International Convention, a Georgia breakfast,
and a first class Georgia display. The. Glee Club of the Blind Academy at Macon
was taken to the convention and was enthusiastically received.
the International Convention our own Dr. Homer L. Barker,
Carrollton, was elected an International Director.
Carrollton, was elected an International Director.
the year International President Eugene S. Briggs was guest of the Georgia Lions
in Atlanta. District Governors Gordon R. Holstun of 18A, W. H. Cohan of 18B, and
R. M. Matthews of 18D visited all clubs, and District 18A was 100% perfect in
reports on time. The usual fine state convention was held at Macon. On January
1, 1949, District 18 had 152 clubs with 6988 members.
1949 - 1950
1949-1950 District Governors have been working hard and are certain to show
splendid results for the year.
President Walter C. Fisher and Secretary Genera1 Melvin Jones have made separate
visits to the state and received royal welcomes.
plans have been made for again putting Georgia on the map at the International
Convention, which is to be held in Chicago.
Georgia Lions State Convention is to be held in Atlanta under the sponsorship of
the Lions clubs of Metropolitan Atlanta.
Counselor Eugene Sanders is serving as General Chairman.
May 15, 1950, three of the four districts have been -100% in getting all
secretaries’ reports to International on time. Lionism in the state has
continued to grow, on March 28, 1950, having 152 clubs and 7106 members.
year was another good one for Lionism in Georgia.
Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind, sponsored by Georgia Lions, handled over 250
own Dr. Homer L. Barker, of Carrollton, served as an International Director.
General R. Roy Keaton was entertained at Gainesville and at Radium Springs.
Fat Cattle Show put on by the Donaldsonville club received wide recognition.
usual fine State Convention was held at Columbus.
the International Convention in Chicago, Georgia was in the spotlight as never
before. Among the Georgia features were :
train facilities to and from the convention.
Georgia State Headquarters at a hotel assigned to Georgia Lions.
Georgia State Breakfast with 105 present.
of third, prize in the parade for delegates in uniform.
of second prize in high school bands by sponsoring the Jordan High School Band
excellent Georgia booth. Georgia Lions distributed 30,000 packages of salted
peanuts, 10,000 bags of Stuart pecans, 30,000 Georgia match folders, and several
thousand four-ounce bottles of Georgia turpentine.
are due the convention committee of Chairman Rufus B. Jennings of Dawson, Ed
Dyer of Decatur, Fred Dameron of Augusta, Gerald Pearson of Columbus, and J. W.
Henry of Athens; also to the District Governors of the state and to the many,
many Georgia Lions and Lionesses who worked at the convention and participated
in the parade.
May 1, 1951, District 18 had the following number of clubs and members :
|District 18A||44 clubs||2461 members|
|District 18B||50 clubs||1708 members|
|District 18C||41 clubs||1713 members|
|District 18D||30 clubs||1382 members|
|165 clubs||7264 members|
of the success of the year was due to the District Governors who worked long and
faithfully in visiting clubs and promoting Lionism.
DR. CHAS. M.
WM. M. HARRIS
year presented a number of unusual and progressive features in Georgia Lionism.
large number of clubs conducted sales of brooms made by the blind. These sales
not only enabled the blind people to have full time employment but also realized
sizable profits for the charitable work of the clubs. Lions have always shown a
particular interest in helping the blind-the broom sales should grow in
importance in the years to come.
outstanding project of the year was the sending of the Russell High Boys’ Glee
Club to Philadelphia for the Music Education National Conference. The East Point
Lions Club, a club of about thirty members at the time, raised $10,000 for the
trip. The project brought much favorable publicity to Georgia Lions and to the
State of Georgia.
Grand Master Key (fifty new members) was awarded Lion Hoke Wallace of the Winder
April 1 the Dalton and Rome clubs had a record of perfect attendance at all
meetings. Dalton meets every other week; Rome meets weekly.
new club house costing approximately $35,000 was dedicated with impressive
ceremonies by the Winder Lions Club. The new home of the Lions provides a
wonderful contribution to the civic and community life of Winder.
this time it is possible for all four of our districts to qualify for the 100%
award for sending all secretaries’ reports to International on time.
18 on April 1 had 185 clubs and 7,359 Lions. This is an increase of twenty clubs
over the previous year. International Representative Walter B. Currie helped
greatly in the organization of many of the new clubs.
of the success of the year 1951-1952 is due to the four District Governors.
Under their faithful and inspiring leadership Georgia Lionism continued to grow
in numbers, in deeds and in ideals.
1952 - 1953
18 has continued to grow - it now has 20 more clubs and 1,592 more Lions than
last year. More important, however, is the fact that Georgia Lions are
demonstrating .a real spirit of Lion fellowship and service. Here are a few
town of Patterson, population 656, had been without doctors for several years.
The Lions Club located and renovated a building for offices, raised money for
six months’ free rent, and secured two physicians for part of each week. In
addition the club graded and lighted a football field and also promoted a
community sing with over 1,000 present!
Lions published the Unadilla Observer.
Chatsworth Club sponsored the rebuilding of a rundown farm for teaching and
Valley purchased an iron lung for use in clinics.
Alapaha Club in a town of 505 had many worthwhile projects including the raising
of $4,500 to replace the water tank destroyed by a tornado. Town officials had
the Lion emblem painted on the tank.
Lions promoted a three-mile safety parade.
and more clubs are conducting “broom sales” of brooms made by the blind. The
Columbus club realized a profit of $3,610 which will be used entirely for sight
75 Georgia clubs are helping the Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind. Over 845
cases have been handled in three years.
highlights of the year :
inspiring state convention at Augusta with International President Harold P.
Jack Comer, of Cordele, was elected Vice Chairman of the International Board of
Governors at the International Convention in Mexico City.
Dalton club has a 100% attendance record.
Grand Master Key was awarded to Lion Hoke Wallace, of Winder, and the Senior
Master Key to Lion A. Lee White, of Bremen.
secretaries of all districts are 100% on time in sending monthly reports to
off to the District Governors, for leading a splendid year of growth and
May 1, 1953, District 18 had the following:
|District 18A||57 clubs||3,109 members|
|District 18B||57 clubs||2,074 members|
|District 18C||47 clubs||1,827 members|
|District 18D||44 clubs||1,941 members|
|205 clubs||8,951 members|
year was highlighted by a greatly increased interest in zone, region and
district meetings. “A” held a notable dual region meeting in Atlanta in
which 27 Lions Clubs participated; “B” had a splendid district meeting at
Blackshear; “C” had the first district assembly in Georgia (a 24-hour
affair) at Cordele; and “D” had a big zone meeting at Gainesville with 375
present. These fine meetings and many others really stirred up the spirit ‘of
Lionism in District 18.
year was also featured by the large number of International Officers who visited
our district; Director General R. Roy Keaton; 1st Vice President Monroe L. Nute;
3rd Vice President Jack Stickley; Past Presidents Edgar M. Elbert and Julien
Hyer, and International Directors Roy H. Black, E. L. “Slim” Harris and C.
W. McKee. Never before have we been honored with so much brass in one year. Some
of these fine Lions paid us more than one visit and addressed several Lion
was an outstanding year in many ways:
18-C was 100% for the Georgia Lighthouse for the Blind; every club in the
district having sent $1.00 per capita to the Lighthouse.
Calhoun and East Point clubs had 100% attendance records for the year.
Dawsonville Club raised $2,880.00 for a fire engine.
Sylvester club was the first service club in the United States to publicly
endorse President Eisenhower’s Highway Safety Program.
Griffin Club interested the State in a broom factory for blind negroes in
Griffin and guaranteed $1,900.00 of the $7,000.00 needed.
Savannah Club educated the public in regard to the necessity of more money for
the school system and secured a majority vote for an increase in school taxes.
18-A chartered eleven new clubs.
secretary reports for all districts were 100% on time.
fine state convention was sponsored by the Atlanta and the Metropolitan Atlanta
18 continued to grow in numbers and in Lion spirit.
to the District Governors for a wonderful year!
District 18 Clubs
|District 18A||70 clubs||3,516 members|
|District 18B||56 clubs||2,142 members|
|District 18C||49 clubs||1,918 members|
|District 18D||50 clubs||1,996 members|
|225 clubs||9,572 members|
1954 - 1955
the International Convention in Chicago, our own Marvin G. Pounds of Sparta was
elected International Director. An inspiring Georgia Breakfast was held.
Handsome paperweights of Stone Mountain granite were presented to members of the
year continued the fine interest in regional and zone meetings. Some of these
were large and elaborate affairs with an International officer as speaker. Each
year the positions of Deputy District Governor and Zone Chairman become more
important in promoting the spirit of Lionism.
excellent projects were completed during the year:
Plains Lions Club built a $6,000 swimming pool for the community.
established a foundation of several thousand dollars for worthy causes.
Stockbridge Lions Club, only two years old, took on the man-sized job of making
and raising $20,000 for a gymnasium-auditorium,
Lighthouse for the Blind received support from nearly all clubs and a good job
was done in selling tickets to the All Star State High School Baseball Game for
Clubs continued the worthwhile and profitable sale of brooms made by the blind.
clubs sold more than 30,000 Atlanta TV baseball books, receiving much favorable
publicity and making a nice profit.
Georgia 1954 State Convention voted to sponsor the organization of Junior
Academy Science Clubs in local high schools. This led to increased interest and
the holding of many science fairs. The Decatur Lions Club sponsored the top
winner in the state junior science fair and paid his way to the National Science
Fair at Cleveland, Ohio.
18 has 225 clubs and 9,357 Lions.
secretaries from all districts have been 100% perfect in getting monthly reports
to International on time.
Cup Awards, due to the’ hard work of Chairman Joe Davis and his committees,
have increased in interest. This year, as a new feature, “Shield Awards”
were presented to second-place winners.
long-needed revision of the State Constitution and By-laws was given attention.
A committee of Chairman A. F. Rolf, Eugene Sanders, W. R. Wilson Jr., Jack
and, Bob Matthews submitted a complete revision to the convention at Savannah.
of the continued growth of Lionism in District 18, it became necessary to
redistrict the state into six districts: A, B, C, D, E and F. This was done at
the Savannah Convention and six District Governors were elected to succeed the
four District Governors.
1954 - 1955
M. “BILL” WOODARD
© 2017 Lions of Georgia, Inc., 977-A Madison Road, Eatonton Georgia 31024